Friday, November 10, 2017

Up, up, and beyond (SBCC Colloquium)




Image result for space  x
Earlier this week SBCC hosted its final faculty colloquium of the semester, and was quite a thought provoking one to say the least. The colloquium discussed the future of space exploration which is quite closer to becoming a reality than most might think, it certainly surprised me. The colloquium was led by two SBCC professor's Dr.Kelley and Dr.Young, who did a great job demonstrating the actual probability of going to space.

First of all, as a business major I can only help but think of all the business opportunities that come along with space exploration and inhabiting another planet, essentially creating a whole new economy. But I'll keep those ideas to myself for a bit.

However, along with the ideas that came into my mind, it was also quite fascinating to hear the statistics given by Professors Kelley and Young. I have never been too interested in space travel or at least going into this faculty colloquium, but after I've definitely put a lot of thought into it. After researching Space X's plans to send two rockets to Mars in 2022 and another four rockets in 2024, I'm excited to see the accomplishments of the human race are on a universal scale. Though some of the statistics the Professors shared were almost scary in a sense that space is so vast, yet we are so tiny really gave me a new perspective.

However, I think if our tiny race(relative to the universe) can accomplish such an achievement as becoming a multiplanet species it would be the greatest advancement of our existence. Which actually reminds me of a Mark Twain quote that applies to such a concept: "it's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog" Go humans, and go Vaqueros!


No comments:

Post a Comment