Thursday, November 30, 2017

16 Weeks Already?

Well my first semester at SBCC: Done... or almost. With just one day of classes left, I'm feeling particularly emotional that my journey here at SBCC is progressing at the quick rate it is. It's definitely been a ride, but I've still got one more semester to go before I'm even over the hill. A lot of things have accumulated to develop my feelings towards the school and my life outside of academics. Through being a student, a friend, an athlete, and an employee, I've grown a lot these past few months as an individual and am extremely pleased with my decision to study and live here.


As a student, I have loved all my classes. My teachers are awesome and are super understanding when it comes to anything I approach them with. I thought that maybe taking Express to Success would give me too much on my plate with two math classes, but I totally lucked out with my Professor Gabe Pretel who's done a great job making sure students understand the material. In fact back in high school I got a "C" in algebra, so getting an "A+" this semester was a surreal feeling knowing my hard work had paid off.

My marketing class has been super interesting as well, we've had a few video projects due throughout the class which I love since I took photography in high school and use to make videos in my free time, so it didn't even feel like I was doing assignments, but just doing what I love. English Honors has also been awesome, the concepts we discussed were both deep/intellectual but also relevant to the real world which is what I love most! Applying things in the real world that are relevant to the classroom in an academic way. The teacher, Ryan Harrison has been super influential in his philosophical teaching style. By opening our minds and thinking about the "next step" while also obeying the Honors Program unofficial motto "Do More" and covering all the bases to create powerful writing pieces. I think Professor Harrison's class has taught me more than all of my high school teachers put together. All-in-all, a challenging, yet very enlightening semester at SBCC, leaves me eager for the next one!


As a friend, Santa Barbara has opened my social circle quite a bit. I live at Beach City, which totally promotes social events. Not to mention, Isla Vista is a short Uber ride away. Living with roommates has been interesting and has given me a lot of great stories, I can laugh at. I definitely think living with other people opens up your mind and I recommend everyone tries living with other people at some point just to get the experience. I was a little concerned that I wouldn't make friends while attending a two-year college. Starting off only knowing four people and not to mention, there isn't greek life! Now, I've got some great people here in Santa Barbara and I'm forever thankful for.
The typical state of the kitchen... 

Athletically, I'm a little out of shape, not going to lie. After running cross-country and playing soccer in high school, discontinuing my training after graduation has taken it's toll, but nothing a little gym class next semester can't fix. On the flip side, although I can't run a five minute mile anymore,  I'm getting some five star performances out in the pacific. Almost every surfing session, I notice myself improving, so I hope I maintain that progress and keep learning. It's pretty hard to beat the feeling of carving up and down a wave during sunset on the Californian Riviera.

Job wise, I love what I do. Social Media Marketing for SBCC is awesome, especially after my Snapchat takeover! Most people around campus (or at least young people) now know who I am and it's fun to get out and go to school events and promote them to further strengthen my love for the school. Blogging is fun for me too, but sometimes I wish I had more to share with you guys. My schedule is pretty similar from week to week between waking up, cooking my scrambled eggs with bell peppers, to drinking my morning coffee to either grinding hard at the library or shredding down at the beach for the rest of the day if I'm not in class. So I can keep doing the things I love, I will pursue a restaurant job as a food-runner or possibly a server next semester. I think I will be able to handle working 3-4 days a week on top of school. College has steadily drained my bank account and I really value money in a new way.

It would be an understatement to say the first few months of college have been awesome! I'm really looking forward to the next ones on my journey through adulthood. Santa Barbara is the perfect place for me to find myself and follow my passions while pursuing academic responsibilities and having fun in the life, I can only live once. This place has no doubt made me a better person than the day I step foot here.

 I really mean it when I say this, but this place is a hidden gem and I'm grateful to say I'm a Vaquero.

John



No comments:

Post a Comment