Saturday, September 2, 2017

About me!



Hello all, my name is John Latchford and I am currently a freshman at SBCC. I’m 18 years old and am originally from a small town in the Bay Area called Los Gatos. And even though I’ve been a Vaquero for just two weeks, I’m beyond excited for this school year and am honored to be able to share my experience with you all!

So let’s get into it, why am I here and why am I blogging? First of all there are many factors to what lead me to choose a city college 300 miles south from home. For starters the town is beautiful and it feels like summer everyday, hard to complain with that! Secondly, this school in particular goes out of their way to make sure students can become involved in the community whether it’s academically or socially. Lastly this is THE #1 CITY COLLEGE IN THE NATION, need I say more? Well I’m going to: by going to SBCC I still receive the “traditional college experience” of leaving home and meeting new people, giving me the opportunity to live life how I want to:)  I’m blogging to help promote the school and its many beauties as well as become involved in the school and everything it has to offer. 

So far academically I’m off to a great start heading into my third week. I’m taking 17.5 units this semester, and like I said so far I’m off to a great start and I love my classes and professors. The first class I have on Mondays and Wednesdays is my Intro to Marketing class in the Business/Communication Center which is my largest class with over 100 students. Shortly after Marketing is my English 110 Honors class(also Monday and Wednesday) which has a spectacular view of La Playa Field and the Pacific Ocean. I’m also enrolled in ENG 120 which is just a one credit class online. Later that day I have math, for which I’m in the Express to Success Program(ESP) enabling me to take 2 math classes in one semester. In ESP I’m in Math 107N/107/117, which consists of a Study Skills for Math, Intermediate Algebra, and Statistics. Because I’m taking two math classes in the same semester I actually have this class everyday Monday through Thursday. As for PE credit I’m in a Body Conditioning Boot Camp for beginners, Tuesdays and Thursdays. Unfortunately my Marketing 101 class(Monday and Wednesday) is an 8 am and my Body Conditioning Boot Camp(Tuesday and Thursday), to my dismay is also an 8 am. I don’t know why I do this to myself, but whatever I’ve done it the past 4 years in high school so I guess I can handle two more. Hopefully with these classes I can let you guys know how I’m doing and you can learn a little bit about the Honors Program and the Express to Success Program.


My goal in regards to my education from SBCC is to put in everything I have into my academics in hopes of transferring to a four year university for Business and Marketing. I don’t have a final choice for where I want to transfer(yet), but I definitely want to stay in California. I’ll keep you guys posted how the hunt goes!


Apart from blogging, I also work in the Office of Communications as a Social Media Marketer! Essentially, I help the school post on its social media accounts(Snapchat, Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter) by attending school events and promoting them through the accounts. I also plan on joining a club somewhat related to my major(Business/Marketing) but am waiting until Club Day to make my decision.

All I can say right now is I’m very optimistic about the school year and Santa Barbara already has a piece of my heart. Everyday I seem to love it more and more. Hopefully from blogging about my experience here you can learn what the school school has to offer and also a lot about me as a person! I hope youre looking forward to it. I’ve been anticipating this school year for quite sometime and am very happy to be here so stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment